Grow.Bar Organic Seed.Kit® - Scintillating Cilantro
Cilantro comes from the coriander plant and is a year-round herb (an apiaceae). The crop arrived in North America in the late 17th century, but did not really become popular until the 1990's. The plant is most likely native to the Southern Europe and North African regions, and has been documented in use by many ancient cultures for medicinal purposes, as well as in foods.
It started appearing in upscale restaurants in the late 1980s and was one of the first microgreens to be really be used by professional chefs. The seeds of the coriander plant are used to make spices, however all parts of the plant can be consumed. The leaves have a more citrus flavor in comparison to the seeds, and are most commonly found in Indian, Asian and South American cuisine. The cilantro leaves still offer an exciting and stimulating flavor, as well as an invigorating aroma.
Research has shown that cilantro microgreens are more nutrient dense than their adult counter parts. The leaves are one of the richest sources of Vitamin K and beta-carotene you can find (nutrition-and-you.com). And vitamin K is linked to bone mass building (can help to avoid osteoporosis), and the beta-carotene is important for healthy skin and eyesight. Cilantro leaves contain vitamin A and C, and strong detoxifying properties as well. Check out our Cilantro Smoothie Recipe for more details and nutrition facts.
Our Grow.Bar® cilantro microgreens have a bright aroma and bold flavor. The young microgreens are peppery and can be incorporated in various recipes. From margaritas and tacos, to smoothies and salads, these are some of the easiest to grow and most versatile greens. Our Organic Seed Kit® comes complete with organic fertilizer, organic seeds and all other necessary grow media, and the cilantro microgreens take about 15 days to harvest (best consumed fresh).
Grow.Bar® Recipe - Shrimp Tacos
Ingredients for tacos:
- 20 small shrimp, peeled & ready to cook
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced & diced (cut into cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 organic corn or flour tortillas (we recommend Stacy's Organic Tortillas)
Ingredients for cilantro sour cream:
- 1/2 cup organic sour cream (we recommend Green Valley)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Grow.Bar cilantro microgreens
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- Lime zest (at least 1 teaspoon)
- salt to taste
- Whisk olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add shrimp and toss, be sure to cover shrimp in mixture evenly. Cover shrimp and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Next, make your sour cream topping by stirring all ingredients together in a bowl. Place in fridge until serving time.
- Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium-high heat until cooked through (4-6 minutes). Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Add a touch of oil to a clean pan on medium-high heat. Warm tortillas for about 25 seconds on each side. Place each one folded in half on paper towel as they finish.
- Spoon about 4-5 shrimp into each tortilla, and add shredded lettuce, diced tomato and avocado.
- Top each taco with your cilantro sour cream (in the fridge) and garnish with one cilantro microgreen stem.
What are some of your favorite cilantro recipes? Sign up and share. We are always looking for new inspiration and we love hearing from our readers. And don't forget to check out our online products and pre-sale to start growing your own microgreens today.
You may also enjoy these articles: Beautiful Broccoli, Purple Mizuna & Tatsoi, Amazing Amaranth, Radical Radish, Cilantro Smoothies, Carrot Orange & Ginger Smoothie, Growing Microgreens: The Grow.Bar way, Grow.Bar Recipes