Grow.Bar Organic Seed.Kit® - Awesome Arugula Microgreens
Arugula (scientifically known as Eruca Sativa) is a green, leafy vegetable native to the Mediterranean. A full grown arugula plant features succulent flowers and all parts of the plant (pod, seeds & flowers) can be consumed. It's a Brassicaceae, similar to Brassica plants like mustard and kale, and may also go by names like roguette or rocket.
It's a fairly small, annual crop and it's commonly eaten in The U.S. It's likely that you've had arugula in a salad, or included in a side dish or sandwich. And arugula microgreens considered on of the best greens to eat on a regular basis.
Arugula microgreens are just as nutritious, if not more so. than its adult counterparts. And it's a super low-calorie vegetable that's packed with vital nutrients and minerals. The microgreens contains high levels of Vitamin A, C and K, as well as B-6, thiamin and niacin.
It's high in minerals like iron and copper, and contains small amounts of potassium. And the greens contain DIM (di-indolyl-methane) as well. This acts as an immune modulator, as well as an anti-bacterial and anti-viral metabolite. Arugula greens are also high in phytochemicals like sulforaphane and Isothiocyanate, that are known to protect against cancers and the growth of cancerous cells.
Our Grow.Bar Organic Arugula Seed Kit® comes complete with organic fertilizer, organic seeds and all other necessary grow media. All you have to do is add water and watch them grow. The Arugula microgreens are ready for harvest within about 10 days and are easy to incorporate into any daily meal. Arugula is less peppery in it's micro-size, and has a sweeter taste than the full grown leaves. Throw them in your next salad, or use them as a salad base, or try topping off your next sandwich with the vibrant, healthy greens.
Grow.Bar® Recipe - Arugula & Goat Cheese Pizza
- 1 unbaked whole-wheat pizza crust (or make your own, great recipe on cookieandkate.com)
- 6 tablespoons pesto sauce (try our Grow.Bar® Pesto recipe, or buy your own)
- 3 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 8 ounces goat cheese (feel free to experiment with flavored blends, like cracked pepper or garlic and herbs)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin (not minced)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Grow.Bar® Arugula Microgreens
- Preheat oven according to pizza crust box instructions or homemade recipe directions.
- Place pesto sauce in the center of the pizza and spread toward the edges with the back of a large spoon.
- Cut the goat cheese into thin circles and spread evenly across the pizza (you may also choose to crumble the cheese if you prefer).
- Place tomato slices over goat cheese and then sprinkle with the garlic slices.
- Brush the edges of the pizza crust with olive oil.
- Place pizza directly on preheated oven rack (not a tray) and bake for about 10 minutes (give or take, depending on your oven and crust directions).
- Once the crust edges are golden brown, remove the pizza and allow to cool.
- Evenly sprinkle arugula microgreens on the pizza, cut and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite arugula recipes? Sign-up and share. We love hearing from our readers and are always seeking new inspiration!
You may also enjoy these articles: Amazing Amaranth, Mizuna & Tatsoi Microgreens, Know Your Garlic, Organic Food Trends, How To Eat Healthy On A Budget, Technology & Indoor Gardening, Shedding Some Light On The Growth Process, 6 Meal-Kit Delivery Services At The Top Of Their Game