Grow.Bar Organic Seed.Kit® - Beautiful Broccoli
Most of us eat broccoli. It's one of the most famous vegetables and most common amongst most American families, and it's full of vital nutrients. However, when was the last time you had broccoli greens? No, not green broccoli. We mean the leaves of the plant before it begins to grow what you know as broccoli flours. Probably not very often, if ever. But they're an excellent source of vitamins and a tasty, tender and convenient alternative to the regular steamed broccoli.
Broccoli is famous for it's antioxidant properties and the leaves contain almost 40 times the amount of sulfurophane (An antioxidant known to have cancer preventative properties) than their adult counterparts.
Broccoli Seed Kit® contains everything you need to start growing at home, including 100% organic fertilizer, seeds and other grow media. And the broccoli microgreens contain unique flavors that can easily be included in a variety of ways. Grow.Bar users can add them to salads and cooked stir fry recipes, or even use them to garnish soups, sandwiches and pasta dishes.
One of our favorite ways to use these little guys is in what we call a "Zen Bowl". Check out the following recipe to create your own:
Grow.Bar® Recipe - Broccoli Zen Bowl
- 1 lime
- 6 egg whites (or equivalent amount of crumbled tofu)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 of an avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp mixture of curry, garlic & onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup Grow.Bar broccoli microgreens
- 1/2 cup Grow.Bar kale microgreens
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn on your stove and heat a large saucepan on high.
- Mix together all spices in a small bowl, including salt and pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon each).
- Add broccoli, carrot, and mushrooms with a splash of water to your heated saucepan. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and add cherry tomatoes and spice mixture. Saute for a few more minutes, adding small splashes of water as needed so vegetables do not stick to the pan.
- Cut your lime in half and squeeze in the juice, and then pour in egg whites (or tofu). Allow the egg whites to sit for about 60 seconds and scramble them together with the vegetables once they begin to cook through. This happens quickly so pay attention. And if you are using tofu, simply scramble until the tofu starts to brown evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl and top with cooked quinoa.
- Last, top the vegetable and quinoa mixture with avocado and broccoli and kale microgreens.
- Add more lime juice, salt and pepper to taste & dig in!
What are some of your favorite broccoli recipes? Sign-up and share! We are always seeking new inspiration and we love hearing from our readers.
You may also enjoy these articles: Technology & Indoor Gardening, Cilantro Smoothies, Pea Tendrils, Radical Radish, Using Microgreens: Homemade Creations, Growing Microgreens, Shedding Some Light On Indoor Growing, Microgreen Trends & Tips, Homemade Baby Food With Grow.Bar