Say Good Morning With Microgreens!
It's likely you've heard that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". But do you really know why eating an early meal is so essential to your health? The word breakfast is literally breaking the fast your body took while sleeping during the night. It's time to feed your body and mind when you wake up. And if you skip eating well at the beginning of the day, it's likely you will reach for unhealthy snacks and foods later on.
Breakfast also helps your body restore glucose levels, which are needed for proper brain function. And research shows that eating a regular breakfast can improve memory and stress levels. Some studies even show breakfast to be linked to improved grades among young children.
Growing children need tons of energy. And letting your kids skip breakfast is actually harming their growth process, both physically and mentally. Not only does eating breakfast improve well-being throughout the day, it can also contribute to reducing high blood pressure, risk of heart disease and obesity (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services).
So don't rush out the door every morning. Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier than normal. Give yourself the time you need. Rise, shine and eat a balanced breakfast. Check out the following recipes for nutrition-packed vegan and vegetarian ideas and start waking up happily hungry today :)
Avocado, Cucumber & Microgreen Tartine
- 2 slices organic whole grain/whole wheat bread
- 1 organic cucumber, sliced
- 1 organic avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup Grow.Bar® organic red mustard microgreens (or your favorite blend)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Use a spoon to scoop out your avocado, remove the pit and smash until easily spread.
- Toast your bread slices according to your preference and spread half of the avocado on each slice, in an even layer across the top. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Next, layer on the sliced cucumbers. Then place your Grow.Bar microgreens on top of your bread (again split listed ingredients in half between your 2 slices of bread).
*You can add red onion and tomato to this recipe as well for some added flavor. Or try thin sliced radish to add extra nutrients and a little spice. Experiment to find your favorite tartine combination.
Goat Cheese & Microgreen Egg White Omelet
- 2 organic egg whites
- 2 tablespoons organic milk
- 1/4 cup crumbled organic goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Grow.Bar® kale or cabbage microgreens
- cooking spray (organic, vegetable based)
- find sea salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk together egg whites and milk and turn your pan's heat to medium.
- Add a thin layer of cooking spray and dump in the egg white mixture. Proceed to cook on medium to low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste while the egg whites are cooking. The egg is beginning to cook when it becomes less runny and starts to easily pull away from the sides of your pan.
- Once the bottom seems cooked (at least a few minutes), flip the egg "pancake" and quickly fry for about 5-10 seconds.
- Remove cooked egg mixture and place on a serving plate. Fill with the rest of your ingredients and then fold in half. Top with a few microgreens and voila.
*If you prefer your omelets "runny", be cautious of overcooking. The egg whites cook fast, so remain at low temperatures to properly control the process.
No matter what you like to eat for breakfast, make time to grab something healthy. If you are pressed for time, you can still take a piece of fruit on the go. And our Grow.Bar microgreens make a quick, tasty way to add a super dose of nutrition to any smoothie. What are your favorite breakfast foods? Sign-up, join the Grow.Bar community and share.
You may also enjoy these articles: 6 Activities To Brighten Up Your Morning Routine, Homemade Baby Food, Creating Condiments, Using Microgreens, Grow.Bar's Carrot Ginger Smoothie, Radical Radish, Pea Tendrils & Salads